At stake in this election:
- 217 seats in the Tunisian Constituent Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Fouad MEBAZZA *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Beji Caid EL-SEBSI
- Assembly: Tunisia has a unicameral Tunisian Constituent Assembly with 217 seats.
* President Zine el Abidine BEN ALI was forced out of power on January 14, 2011. MEBAZZA is Acting President.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by a plurality system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the Tunisian Constituent Assembly 217 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system.***
*** There are 27 domestic constituencies and four out-of-country constituencies. Party lists are required to alternate between male and female candidates.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Renaissance Party / النهضة Hizb al-Nahda
- Leader: Rashid Al-GHANNUSH
- Party: Homeland Party / Hizb al-Watan
- Leader: Mohamed JEGHAM
- Party: Progressive Democratic Party (PDP) / al-Ḥizb ad-Dīmuqrāṭī at-Taqaddumī الحزب الديمقراطي التقدمي
- Leader: Najib CHEBBI
- Party: Democratic Forum for Labour and Liberties / لتكتل الديمقراطي من أجل العمل والحرياتat-Takattul ad-Dīmuqrāṭī min ajl il-‘Amal wal-Ḥurriyyāt (Ettakatol)
- Leader: Mustapha BEN JAFAR
- Party: Congress for the Republic / المؤتمر من أجل الجمهوريةal-Mu’tamar min ajl il-Jumhūriyyah (CPR)
- Leader: Moncef MARZOUKI
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,673,800 (2011)
- Registered Voters: 8,289,900 (October 2011)
· Female Population: 5,385,186 (2011)
· Is Tunisia a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (24 July 1980)
· Has Tunisia ratified CEDAW: Yes (20 September 1985)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 57 (following the 2011 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 96 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Tunisia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Tunisia ratified CRPD: Yes (2 April 2008)
· Population with a disability: 1,601,070 (est.)