At stake in this election:
- 65 seats in the National Assembly (65)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ismail Omar GUELLEH
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Mohamed Dileita DILEITA
- Assembly: Djibouti has a unicameral National Assembly (65) with 65 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 6-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the National Assembly (65) 65 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Union for a Presidential Majority (UMP) / Union pour la majorité présidentielle*
- Leader: Ismail Omar GUELLEH
- Seats won in this election: 65
- Seats won in last election: 65
* The UMP is a pro-government bloc which consists of the People's Progress Assembly (RPP), Front for the Restoration of Democratic Unity (FRUD), Democratic National Party (PND), and the Social Democratic People's Party (PPSD).
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 809,693 (2008)
- Registered Voters: 151,490 (February 2008)
· Female Population: 403,200 (2008)
· Is Djibouti a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Djibouti ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (2 December 1998)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 9 (following the 2008 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 168 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Djibouti a signatory to CRPD: No
· Has Djibouti ratified CRPD: Yes, accession (18 June 2012)
· Population with a disability: 121,453 (est.)