At stake in this election:
- 65 seats in the National Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Bharrat JAGDEO *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Samuel HINDS
- Assembly: Guyana has a unicameral National Assembly with 65 seats.
* The President is elected by simple majority vote as the designated candidate of a party list in parliamentary elections; there are no term limits.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by simple majority vote.
- In the National Assembly, 25 members are elected in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 40 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.***
*** The Guyana Election Commission (GECOM) can allocate "overhang seats" to top vote-getters of proportional representation votes at national level to remove the advantage that a party would win through a disproportional number of constituency seats.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: People's Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C)
- Leader: Bharrat JAGDEO
- Seats won in last election: 34
- Party: People's National Congress/Reform
Population and Registered Voters:
- Registered voters:
· Female Population: 371,617 (2001)
· Is Guyana a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Guyana ratified CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 13 (following the 2001 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 124 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Guyana a signatory to CRPD: Yes (11 April 2007)
· Has Guyana ratified CRPD: Yes (10 September 2014)
· Population with a disability: 111,474 (est.)