At stake in this election:
- 101 seats in the Parliament (Parlament)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Vladimir VORONIN *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Vasile TARLEV
- Assembly: Moldova has a unicameral Parliament (Parlament) with 101 seats.
* The electoral system is two-round. 61 votes are needed (the votes of three-fifths of elected legislators). If more than two candidates run and none achieves this threshold, there is a runoff between the top two candidates within 10 days. If two or fewer candidates run and none achieves this threshold, there is a repeat election within 30 days. If no President is elected after a repeat election, the acting President dissolves Parliament, and there are new legislative elections. Parliament may be dissolved once per year.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is indirectly elected by parliament to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Parliament (Parlament) 101 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Communist Party of the Republic of Moldova / (PCRM)
- Leader: Vladimir VORONIN
- Seats won in this election: 56
- Seats won in last election: 71
- Party: Democratic Moldova Bloc / (BMD)**
- Leader: Serafim URECHEAN
- Seats won in this election: 34
- Seats won in last election: 19
- Party: Popular Christian Democratic Party / (PPCD)
- Leader: Iurie ROSCA
- Seats won in this election: 11
- Seats won in last election: 11
** Includes Our Moldova Alliance, Social Liberty Party, and the Democratic Party.
Last Parliamentary election:
- Last parliamentary elections held on February 25, 2001.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 3,595,187 (2005)
- Registered Voters: 2,430,537 (March 2005)
· Female Population: 1,873,346 (2005)
· Is Moldova a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Moldova ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (1 July 1994)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 22 (following the 2005 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 107 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Moldova a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Moldova ratified CRPD: Yes (21 September 2010)
· Population with a disability: 539,278 (est.)