At stake in this election:
- Seats in the People's Council of Turkmenistan (Halk Maslahaty).
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Saparmurat NIYAZOV *
- Head of Government: President Saparmurat NIYAZOV
- Assembly: Turkmenistan has a unicameral Parliament with 50 seats.
* President NIYAZOV has been made president for life by parliament.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- The Parliament is bicameral. In the National Assembly (Mejlis), 50 members are elected by popular vote. In the People's Council (Halk Maslahaty), some of the 2507 members are elected and some are appointed.*
* The People's Council consists of the "President of Turkmenistan, the Mejlis deputies, Chairman of the Supreme Kazyyet (court), General Prosecutor, members of the Cabinet of Ministers, velayats’ khyakims (heads of regions), and Khyakim (Mayor) of the City of Ashgabat; Khalk vekilleri (people’s representatives); Leaders of parties, Youth Organization, trade unions, Women’s Union, which are the members of the Nation-wide movement “Galkynysh” (revival); leaders of state public organizations, representatives of elders of Turkmenistan; Khyakims of cities being the administrative centers of velayats and etraps; archins (heads town and village council) of towns and townships being the administrative centers of etraps." Its powers were expanded by the President on August 21, 2003.
List of main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Democratic Party of Turkmenistan
- Leader: Saparmurat NIYAZOV
Note: Turkmenistan is a one party-state. All elected members of the People's Council and all new candidates belong to the Democratic Party.
Last People's Council elections:
- The last People's Council elections were held in 1992.
Population and registered voters:
- Population: 4,647,912 (2003 est.)
- Registered Voters: 1,915,000 (2004 est.)