At stake in this election:
- 109 seats in the National Assembly (Sapha Heng Xat)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Khamtai SIPHANDON
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Bounnhang VORACHITH **
- Assembly: Laos has a unicameral National Assembly (Sapha Heng Xat) with 109 seats.
** The Prime Minister is nominated by the president and elected by the National Assembly.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by the National Assembly to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is nominated by the president with the approval of the parliament.
- In the National Assembly (Sapha Heng Xat) 109 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.***
*** The total number of seats increased from 99 to 109 for the 2006 election.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Lao People's Revolutionary Party (LPRP) / Pug Pasason Patiwat Lao
- Leader: Khamtai SIPHANDON
- Seats won in this election: 109
- Independent(s): Independents**
- Leader: N/A
- Seats won in this election: 0
** There was only one independent candidate in this years' election.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 5,502,340 (2002)
- Registered Voters: 2,545,838 (February 2002)
· Female Population: 2,770,271 (2002)
· Is Laos a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Laos ratified CEDAW: Yes (14 August 1981)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 25 (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 141 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Laos a signatory to CRPD: Yes (15 January 2008)
· Has Laos ratified CRPD: Yes (25 September 2009)
· Population with a disability: 825,351 (est.)