Note: Figures above are approximate.
At stake in this election:
- 100 seats in the National People's Assembly (Assembleia Nacional Popular)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Joao Bernardo VIEIRA *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Francisco FADUL
- Assembly: Guinea-Bissau has a unicameral National People's Assembly (Assembleia Nacional Popular) with 100 seats.
* President VIEIRA assumed power November 14, 1980 in a coup d'etat.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by direct popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the National People's Assembly (Assembleia Nacional Popular) 100 members are elected by popular vote to serve 4-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Party for Social Renovation (PRS)
- Leader: Kumba YALLA
- Seats won in this election: 38
- Seats won in last election: 12
- Party: Guinea-Bissau Resistance (RGB)
- Leader: Domingo FERNANDES Gomes
- Seats won in this election: 28
- Seats won in last election: 19
- Party: African Party for the Independence of Guinea-Bissau and Cape Verde (PAIGC)
- Leader: Francisco BENANTE
- Seats won in this election: 24
- Seats won in last election: 62
Last Legislative election:
- Parliamentary elections were last held on July 3, 1994.
100 seats were decided on in the last election.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,287,727 (1999)
- Registered Voters: 503,007 (1999)
· Female Population: 651,750 (1999)
· Is Guinea-Bissau a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Guinea-Bissau ratified CEDAW: Yes (23 August 1985)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 8 (following the 1999 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 178 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Guinea-Bissau a signatory to CRPD: Yes (24 September 2013)
· Has Guinea-Bissau ratified CRPD: Yes (24 September 2014)
· Population with a disability: 193,159 (est.)