At stake in this election:
- 34 seats in the National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President France Albert RENE
- Head of Government: President France Albert RENE
- Assembly: Seychelles has a unicameral National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale) with 34 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- In the National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale), 25 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 9 members are allocated through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Seychelles People's Progressive Front (SPPF)
- Leader: Mr. France Albert RENE
- Seats won in this election: 30
- Seats won in last election: 27
- Party: United Opposition (UO)
- Leader: Rev. Wavel RAMKALAWAN
- Seats won in this election: 3
- Seats won in last election: 1
- Party: Democratic Party (DP)
- Leader: Sir James R. MANCHAM
- Seats won in this election: 1
- Seats won in last election: 5
Last Legislative election:
- The last legislative elections to the National Assembly were held on July 23, 1993.
33 seats decided on in the last election.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 78,846 (July 1998)
- Registered Voters: 56,365 (1998)
· Female Population: 39,488 (1998)
· Is Seychelles a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Seychelles ratified CEDAW: Yes (5 May 1992)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 8 (following the 1998 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 64 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Seychelles a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Seychelles ratified CRPD: Yes (2 October 2009)
· Population with a disability: 11,826 (est.)