At stake in this Referendum:
- Adoption of several amendments to the Malagasy constitution
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Marc RAVALOMANANA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Charles RABEMANANJARA
- Assembly: Madagascar has a bicameral Legislature consisting of the Senate (Senat) with 90 seats and the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 160 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Adoption of several amendments to the Malagasy constitution* Do you accept these constitutional changes for rapid and sustainable rural development to improve the lives of the Malagasy?
Pour le dÃveloppement rapide et durable des rÃ©gions et pour l'amÃ©lioration des conditions de vie des Malgaches, acceptez-vous ce projet de rÃ©vision de la Constitution?
* Main provisions include: - Introduction of emergency powers for the president and increase in his/her judicial powers. - Introduction of English as third official language. At present, French and Malagasy are the official languages in Madagascar. - Redefinition of the country's administrative divisions by replacing the six autonomous provinces, now the highest level of subdivision, with the 22 regions within the provinces.
- A majority of votes cast is required in order for the referendum to pass.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 19,371,031 (2007)
- Registered Voters: 7,380,926 (April 2007)
· Female Population: 9,724,935 (2007)
· Is Madagascar a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Madagascar ratified CEDAW: Yes (17 March 1989)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 6 (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 154 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Madagascar a signatory to CRPD: Yes (25 September 2007)
· Has Madagascar ratified CRPD: Yes (12 June 2015)
· Population with a disability: 2,905,654 (est.)