ElectionGudie

April 18, 1999 Held

24,447,521
Voted
Italy

Italian Republic

Referendum

Results

47%
Voter
Turnout*
Cast Votes:24,447,521
Valid Votes:23,153,945
Invalid Votes:1,293,576

Provisions

If the referendum passes, 75% (475) of the seats of the Chamber of Deputies will be chosen by first past the post (FPTP) principles as currently stands. The remaining 25% (155) of the seats will be awarded within each of the circoscrizioni, or regions, to those candidates in the single member districts who were not already elected but who won the highest percentage of the vote among the losers.

Yes21,161,866

91.50

No1,960,022

8.50

More Info:

At stake in this Referendum:

  • The electoral system of the Chamber of Deputies of the Republic of Italy.

Description of government structure:

  • Chief of State: President Oscar Luigi SCALFARO
  • Head of Government: Prime Minister Massimo D'ALEMA
  • Assembly: Italy has a bicameral Parliament (Parlamento) consisting of the Senate (Senato della Repubblica) with 326 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camera dei Deputati) with 630 seats**.

** Parties winning less than 4% of the nationwide vote for the Chamber of Deputies are not allowed proportional representation seats.

Main provisions in the Referendum:

  • The referendum calls for changing the current electoral system for the Chamber of Deputies. If the referendum passes, 75% (475) of the seats of the Chamber of Deputies will be chosen by first past the post (FPTP) principles as currently stands. The remaining 25% (155) of the seats will be awarded within each of the circoscrizioni, or regions, to those candidates in the single member districts who were not already elected but who won the highest percentage of the vote among the losers.

Electoral Requirements

  • To be considered valid, a majority (50% plus one) of the electoral body must participate in the referendum.

Population and number of registered voters:

  • Population: 56,782,748 (July 1998 est.)
  • Registered Voters: 49,385,144 ( 1999 )

Gender Data:

·         Female Population: 29,314,741 (1999)

·         Is Italy a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)

·         Has Italy ratified CEDAW: Yes (10 June 1985)

·         Gender Quota: No

·         Female candidates in this election: N/A

·         Number of Female Parliamentarians: 70 (Chamber of Deputies); 26 (Senate) (following the 1996 elections)

·         Human Development Index Position: 27 (2014)

·         Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)

Disability Data:

·         Is Italy a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)

·         Has Italy ratified CRPD: Yes (15 May 2009)

·         Population with a disability: 8,517,412 (est.)