At stake in this Referendum:
- Establishment of a National Constitutional Assembly with full powers to rewrite he country's constitution
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Rafael CORREA *
- Head of Government: President Rafael CORREA
- Assembly: Ecuador has a unicameral National Congress (Congreso Nacional) with 100 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Establishment of a National Constitutional Assembly with full powers to rewrite he country's constitution This referendum asks voters:
"Do you agree with the call and establishment of a National Constituent Assembly to draw up a new Constitution?"
"¿Aprueba usted que se convoque e instale una Asamblea Constituyente con plenos poderes, de conformidad con el estatuto electoral que se adjunta, para que transforme el marco institucional del Estado y elabore una nueva Constitución?"
- An absolute majority is needed in order for the referendum to pass.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 14,205,479 (2007)
- Registered Voters: 9,165,125 (October 2006)
· Female Population: 7,094,101 (2007)
· Is Ecuador a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Ecuador ratified CEDAW: Yes (9 November 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 25 (following the 2006 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 88 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Ecuador a signatory to CRPD: Yes 30 March 2007
· Has Ecuador ratified CRPD: 3 April 2008
· Population with a disability: 2,130,821 (est.)