At stake in this Referendum:
- Changing the constitution to reduce the presidential term from seven to five years.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Jacques CHIRAC
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Lionel JOSPIN
- Assembly: France has a bicameral Parliament (Parlement) consisting of the Senate (Sénat) with 321 seats and the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) with 577 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum to shorten the presidential term from seven years to five.
- -A majority of overall votes cast are required for the referendum to be enacted.
-If the referendum is enacted, the change would take place beginning with the 2002 presidential election.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 60,912,498 (2000)
- Registered Voters: 38,363,882 (2000)
· Female Population: 31,118,746 (2000)
· Is France a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has France ratified CEDAW: Yes (14 December 1980)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 63 (National Assembly) following 1997 election; 19 (Senate) following 1998 election)
· Human Development Index Position: 22 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low
· Is France a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has France ratified CRPD: Yes (18 February 2010)
· Population with a disability: 9,136,874 (est.)