At stake in this Referendum:
- Approval of a government-sponsored draft constitution.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Executive President Robert Gabriel MUGABE
- Head of Government: Executive President Robert Gabriel MUGABE
- Assembly: Zimbabwe has a unicameral House of Assembly with 150 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum to approve the government sponsored draft constitution. This referendum asked voters to approve a new draft constitution that would:
- Consolidate the powers of the President.
- Allow President Mugabe to stand for an additional two terms.
- Allow the government to acquire privately owned land without paying compensation.
- A majority of overall votes cast are required for the constitution to be approved. If approved, the constitution would have become the subject of a Bill submitted to Parliament.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 11,163,160 (July 1999 est.)
- Registered Voters: 6,500,000 (March 2000 est.)