At stake in this Referendum:
- -The referendum would change the Constitution to allow an individual to serve more than two terms as President.
-The referendum would increase the presidential mandate from five to seven years.
-The referendum would remove the previous age limit of 70 years for Presidential candidates.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Lansana CONTE
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Lamine SIDIME
- Assembly: Guinea has a unicameral People's National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale Populaire) with 114 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum to amend constitutional provisions regarding presidential eligibility and terms.
- A majority of votes cast are required for this referendum to be enacted.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 8,955,756 (2001)
- Registered Voters: 3,796,293 (1998)
· Female Population: 4,237,215 (1998)
· Is Guinea a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Guinea ratified CEDAW: Yes (9 August 1982)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 8 (following the 1995 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 182 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Guinea a signatory to CRPD: Yes (16 May 2007)
· Has Guinea ratified CRPD: Yes (8 February 2008)
· Population with a disability: 1,343,363 (est.)