At stake in this Referendum:
- Approval of a set of constitutional amendments that included the extension of the presidential term and the mandate of the parliament.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ali Abdallah SALIH
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Abd al-Qadir BA JAMAL
- Assembly: Yemen has a unicameral House of Representative with 301 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum on constitutional amendments that included extension of the presidential term and the mandate of the parliament. Voters were asked to approve several amendments to the Constitution that would:
- Extend the presidential term from five to seven years.
- Extend the mandate of the parliament from four to six years.
- Establish a second chamber of parliament to be appointed by the President.
- A majority of overall votes cast are required for a new political system to be adopted.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 17,479,206 (July 2000 est.)
- Registered Voters: 4,637,728 ( 1997 )