At stake in this Referendum:
- The referendum asked voters to decide on the approval of shared sovereignty between Britain and Spain over Gibraltar.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Chief Minister Peter CARUANA
- Assembly: Gibraltar has a unicameral House of Assembly with 18 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Governor and Commander-in-Chief David DURIE
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Approval of shared sovereignty between Britain and Spain over Gibraltar.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 27,714 (July 2002 est.)
- Registered Voters: 20,675 ( 2002 )