At stake in this election:
- 183 seats in the National Council (Nationalrat)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Heinz FISCHER
- Head of Government: Chancellor Alfred GUSENBAUER
- Assembly: Austria has a bicameral Federal Assembly (Bundesversammlung) consisting of the Federal Council (Bundesrat) with 62 seats and the National Council (Nationalrat) with 183 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by direct popular vote to serve a 6-year term.
- In the Federal Council (Bundesrat) 62 members are elected by indirect vote*. In the National Council (Nationalrat) 183 members are elected through a party-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.
* Members are elected by indirect vote to serve 5-6 year terms. Each of Austria's nine provinces elect between 3-12 members, according to provincial population.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Austrian Social Democratic Party / Sozialdemokratische Partei
- Alliance for the Future of Austria/Bündnis Zukunft Österreich
- Freedom Party of Austria/Freiheitliche Partei Österreichs
- The Greens/Grunen - Die Grünen
- Austrian People's Party/Österreichische Völkspartei
Population and number of registered voters
- Population: 8,321,496 (2008)
- Registered voters: 6,333,109 (2008)
· Female Population: 4,273,312 (2008)
· Is Austria a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Austria ratified CEDAW: Yes (31 March 1982)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 50 (National Council) (as of 2008 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 23 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Australia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Australia ratified CRPD: Yes (26 Septmember 2008)
· Population with a disability: 1,248,224 (est.)