At stake in this election:
- 41 seats in the House of Representatives
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President George Maxwell RICHARDS *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Patrick MANNING
- Assembly: Trinidad and Tobago has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Senate with 31 seats and the House of Representatives with 41 seats.
* The President is elected by indirect vote by an electoral college consisting of ten senators, the Speaker, and twelve members of the House of Representatives.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by indirect vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Senate 31 members are appointed to serve 5-year terms*. In the House of Representatives 41 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
* In the Senate, 16 members are appointed by the ruling party, 9 members are appointed by the president, and 6 members are appointed by the opposition party. All members serve 5-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: People's National Movement (PNM)
- Leader: Patrick MANNING
- Seats won in this House of Representatives election: 26
- Seats won in last House of Representatives election: 20
- Party: United National Congress Alliance (UNC-A)**
- Leader: Basdeo PANDAY
- Seats won in this House of Representatives election: 15
- Seats won in last House of Representatives election: 16
- Party: Congress of the People (COP)
- Leader: Winston DOOKERAN
- Seats won in this House of Representatives election: 0
- Seats won in last House of Representatives election: 0
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 1,309,260 (2007)
- Registered Voters: 990,352 (November 2007)
· Female Population: 660,704 (2007)
· Is Trinidad and Tobago a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (27 June 1985)
· Has Trinidad and Tobago ratified CEDAW: Yes (12 January 1990)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 11 (House of Representatives) following the 2007 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 64 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Trinidad and Tobago a signatory to CRPD: Yes (27 September 2007)
· Has Trinidad and Tobago ratified CRPD: Yes (25 June 2015)
· Population with a disability: 196,389 (est.)