At stake in this Referendum:
- The referendum will ask voters to decide whether to accept or reject the EU Treaty of Accession, which will allow Hungary to seek membership within the European Union (EU).
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ferenc MADL
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Edward Peter MEDGYESSY
- Assembly: Hungary has a unicameral National Assembly (Orszaggyules) with 386 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Referendum on accepting the EU Treaty of Accession. The referendum will ask voters the following question: "Do you agree that the Republic of Hungary should become a member of the European Union?"
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 10,129,552 (2003)
- Registered Voters: 8,042,272
· Female Population: 5,318,183 (2003)
· Is Hungary a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (6 June 1980)
· Has Hungary ratified CEDAW: Yes (22 December 1980)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 38 (following the 2002 election)
· Human Development Index Position: 44 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Hungary a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Hungary ratified CRPD: Yes (20 July 2007)
· Population with a disability: 1,519,432 (est.)