At Stake in this Election:
- The 33 seats in the Parliament (Nitijela)
- Chief of State: President Hilda HEINE (since 28 January 2016)
- Head of Government: President Hilda HEINE (since 28 January 2016)
- Assembly: Marshall Islands has a unicameral Parliament (Nitijela) with 33 seats.
- The President is elected by parliament to serve a 4-year term.
- In the Parliament (Nitijela) 33 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in this Election:
- Seats won in last election: 33
*Marshall Islands traditionally has not had political parties, although there are groupings which compete: the United Democratic Party and Aelon Kein Ad.
Population and Registered Voters:
- Female Population: 37,224
- Is Marshall Islands a signatory to CEDAW: No
- Has Marshall Islands ratified CEDAW: Yes (2 March 2006)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 3 (9.1%)
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 106
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is Marshall Islands a signatory to CRPD: No
- Has Marshall Islands ratified CRPD: Yes (17 March 2015)
- Population with a disability: 10,829 (est.)