At stake in this election:
- 136 seats in the Regional Representative Council
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Joko WIDODO
- Head of Government: President Joko WIDODO
- Assembly: Indonesia has a bicameral People's Consultative Assembly consisting of the Regional Representative Council (Dewan Perwakilan Daerah, DPD) with 136 seats and the House of Representatives (Dewan Perwakilan Rakyat, DPR) with 575 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- In the Regional Representative Council (Dewan Perwakilan Daerah, DPD) 136 members are elected by single non-transferable vote to serve 5-year terms. Four members are elected from 34 provinces, which serve as multi-member constituencies.
- Before this election, there were 132 seats on the Council, with four members from 33 constituencies.
Main parties in the electoral race:
* Elections to the DPD are formally non-partisan. A list of current DPD members is available here.
Population and Registered Voters:
- Population: 269,536,482 (2019 est.)
- Registered Voters: 192,828,520 (190,770,329 domestic and 2,058,191 overseas)
- Female Population: 133,922,681 (2019 est.)
- Is Indonesia a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (28 July 1980)
- Has Indonesia ratified CEDAW: Yes (13 September 1984)
- Gender Quota: Yes (In legislative elections, each party list must include at least 30% female candidates)
- Female candidates in this election: Yes – 136 (16.9%) of 807 candidates
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 97 (17.3%) of 560 in the House of Representatives; 34 (26%) of 132 in the Regional Representative Council
- Human Development Index Position: 116 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2019)
- Is Indonesia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has Indonesia ratified CRPD: Yes (30 November 2011)
- Population with a disability: 38,399,051 (est.)