Note: This referendum was held on two dates, January 21 and February 6, which varied by polling region. The number of votes in Lanao del Norte and North Cotabato are the number of barangays (for North Cotabato) and municipalities (for Lanao del Norte) that voted for or against joining the BARMM.
At Stake in this Referendum:
- The approval or rejection of a law to establish the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM)
- Chief of State: President Benigno AQUINO (since 30 June 2010)
- Head of Government: President Benigno AQUINO (since 30 June 2010)
- Assembly: Philippines has a bicameral Kongreso (Congress) consisting of the Senado (Senate) with 24 seats and the Kapulungan Ng Mga Kinatawan (House of Representatives) with 289 seats.
- COMELEC RA 11054 provides under Section 3 of Article XV that any of the municipalities of Balo-i, Munai, Nunungan, Pantar, Tagoloan and Tangkal in the Province of Lanao del Norte that votes favorably for its inclusion in the BARMM shall form part of it “provided that the majority of the votes cast in the Province of Lanao del Norte shall be in favor of the inclusion of the municipality in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region.” In the same section, the law also provides that any of the barangays (villages) in the municipalities of Kabacan, Carmen, Aleosan, Pigcawayan, Pikit, and Midsayap that would vote favorably for inclusion in the BARMM shall be part of it “provided that the majority of the votes cast in the municipality to which the barangay belongs shall be in favor of the inclusion of the barangay in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region.”
About this Referendum:
- The people in the current Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) will vote to approve or reject the Bangsamoro Organic Law, which would establish the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) and thereby provide greater powers of self-government for the region, including greater fiscal autonomy, a regional government, Parliament and justice system. In addition, the plebiscite will include voting on the inclusion of areas outside of the ARMM in the new BARMM.
- Voters in different areas will be asked different questions. For a full breakdown of these questions by area, see IFES’ FAQs on the plebiscite.
Population and Registered Voters:
- Population: 108,106,310 (2019 est.)
- Registered Voters: 2,839,659 in this plebiscite (54,363,844 country-wide as of 2016)
- Female Population: 53,747,286 (2019 est.)
- Is Philippines a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (15 July 1980)
- Has Philippines ratified CEDAW: Yes (5 August 1981)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female candidates in this election: N/A
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 86 House (27.16%) 6 Senate (25%)
- Human Development Index Position: 113 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
- Is Philippines a signatory to CRPD: Yes (25 September 2007)
- Has Philippines ratified CRPD: Yes (15 April 2008)
- Population with a disability: 15,149,756 (est.)