Bangladesh: President, 18 February 2018
At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Bangladesh
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Abdul HAMID
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Sheikh HASINA Wajed
- Assembly: Bangladesh has a unicameral National Parliament (Jatiya Sangsad) with 350 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by parliament to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the National Parliament (Jatiya Sangsad) 300 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.***
*** There are 50 additional seats reserved for women. These seats are distributed among political parties in proportion to their overall vote share in the election. All candidates are approved through a vote by parliament.
Main candidates in this election:*
- Abdul HAMID
- Party: Awami League
* Incumbent Abdul HAMID was elected unopposed. Parliament elects the president of Bangladesh.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 157,826,578 (July 2017 est.)
- Registered Voters: 81,130,973 ( 2008 )
· Female Population: 79,177,320 (2016)
· Is Bangladesh a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Bangladesh ratified CEDAW: Yes (since 6 November 1984)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 71 (of 350)
· Human Development Index Position: 142 (2016)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very High (2014)
· Is Bangladesh a signatory to CRPD: Yes (9 May 2007)
· Has Bangladesh ratified CRPD: Yes (30 November 2007)
· Population with a disability: