At stake in this election:
- The office of the President of Indonesia
- The office of Vice President of Indonesia*
* Candidates for Vice President and President are elected on the same ticket.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Joko WIDODO
- Head of Government: President Joko WIDODO
- Assembly: Indonesia has a bicameral People's Consultative Assembly consisting of the Regional Representative Council (Dewan Perwakilan Daerah, DPD) with 136 seats and the House of Representatives (Dewan Perwakilan Rakyat, DPR) with 575 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote to serve a 5-year term for a maximum of 2 terms. Only a political party or coalition of political parties that wins 25% of the national vote in legislative elections or wins at least 20% of the DPR’s seats can nominate candidates for President and Vice President. Because presidential and parliamentary elections will be held concurrently, these conditions are based on the results of the last election.
Main Candidates in this Election:
- Candidates: Joko WIDODO – Ma’Ruf AMIN
- Party: Indonesian Democratic Party - Struggle (PDI-P)*
- Candidates: Prabowo SUBIANTO – Sandiaga UNO
- Party: Greater Indonesia Movement Party (Gerindra)**
* Joko WIDODO has the support of ten political parties, including the PDI-P.
** Prabowo SUBIANTO has the support of six political parties, including the Gerindra.
Population and Registered Voters:
- Population: 269,536,482 (2019 est.)
- Registered Voters: 192,828,520 (190,770,329 domestic and 2,058,191 overseas)
- Female Population: 133,922,681 (2019 est.)
- Is Indonesia a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (28 July 1980)
- Has Indonesia ratified CEDAW: Yes (13 September 1984)
- Gender Quota: Yes (In legislative elections, each party list must include at least 30% female candidates)
- Female candidates in this election: No
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 97 (17.3%) of 560 in the House of Representatives; 34 (26%) of 132 in the Regional Representative Council
- Human Development Index Position: 116 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2019)
- Is Indonesia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has Indonesia ratified CRPD: Yes (30 November 2011)
- Population with a disability: 38,399,051 (est.)