At stake in this referendum:
- The independence of New Caledonia
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Francois HOLLANDE *
- Head of Government: President of the Governement Philippe GERMAINE**
- Assembly: New Caledonia has a unicameral Territorial Congress (Congres du Territoire) with 54 seats.
* Represented in New Caledonia by High Commissioner Thierry LATASTE
** President of the Governement is elected by parliament to serve a 5-year term.
- The referendum requires a simple majority to pass
About the referendum:
- The referendum is on New Caledonia’s independence from France. New Caledonia is currently a French territory. The last independence referendum was in 1987.
Provisions in the referendum:
- Do you want New Caledonia to accede to full sovereignty and become independent?
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 279,821 (2018 est.)
- Registered Voters:
- Female Population: 138,958 (2018 est.)
- Is New Caledonia a signatory to CEDAW: Yes – via France (17 July 1980)
- Has New Caledonia ratified CEDAW: Yes – via France (14 December 1980)
- Gender Quota: N/A
- Female candidates in this election: N/A
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 18
- Human Development Index Position: France – 24 (2018)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: France – Very Low (2014)
- Is New Caledonia a signatory to CRPD: Yes – via France (30 March 2007)
- Has New Caledonia ratified CRPD: Yes – via France (18 Febraury 2010)
- Population with a disability: 41,973 (2018 est.)