Aruba: Legislature, 22 September 2017
At stake in this election:
- 21 seats in the Legislature (Staten)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: King WILLEM-ALEXANDER of the Netherlands (since 30 April 2013)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Michiel Godfried EMAN (since 30 October 2009)
- Assembly: Unicameral Legislature (Staten) with 21 seats
Description of electoral system:
- The monarchy is hereditary.
- A Governor General is appointed by the monarch for a 6-year term.
- The Legislature (Staten) indirectly elects the Prime Minister for a 4-year term.
- The 21 members of the Legislature (Staten) are directly elected to 4-year terms through a proportional representation vote.
- The previous election of the Aruban Legislature was held on September 27, 2013. The Aruban People’s Party obtained a majority and EMAN was reelected Prime Minister.
Main candidates in the election:
- Aruban People’s Party / Arubaanse Volkspartij
- Leader: Mike EMAN
- Seats won in last election: 13
- People's Electoral Movement Party / Movimiento Electoral di Pueblo
- Leader: Evelyn WEVER-CROES
- Seats won in last election: 7
- Real Democracy Party / Partido Democracia Real
- Leader: Andin BIKKER
- Seats won in last election: 1
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 113,648 (2016)
- Registered Voters: 70,749 (2017)
- Female Population: 59,815
- Is Aruba a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
- Has Aruba ratified CEDAW: N/A
- Gender Quota: No
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Human Development Index Position: N/A
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is Aruba a signatory to CRPD: No
- Has Aruba ratified CRPD: No
- Population with a disability: 16,824