Burkina Faso: Legislative Election, 5 May 2002
At stake in this election:
- 111 seats in the National Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Blaise COMPAORE (1987-2014)
- Head of Government: Paramanga Ernest YONGLI (2000-2007)
- Assembly: Burkina Faso has a unicameral National Assembly composed of 111 seats with members serving 5-year terms.
Description of electoral system:
- Members of the National Assembly are directly elected in multi-seat constituencies by proportional representation vote.
- Previous elections for the National Assembly were held on 11 May 1997. The Congress for Democracy and Progress won 101 seats, while the Party for Democracy and Progress won 6, and the Alliance for Democracy and Federation and African Democratic Rally each took 2 seats.
Population and number of registered voters:
· Population: 13,015,435 (2002)
· Registered Voters: 2,913,219 (2002)
· Female Population: 6,595,060 (2002)
· Is Burkina Faso a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Burkina Faso ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (14 October 1987)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 12 (2016)
· Human Development Index Position: 183 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Burkina Faso a signatory to CRPD: Yes (23 May 2007)
· Has Burkina Faso ratified CRPD: Yes (23 July 2009)
· Population with a disability: 1,843,647