At stake in this election:
- The 151 seats in the Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Kolinda GRABAR-KITAROVIC
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Zoran MILANOVIC
- Assembly: Croatia has a unicameral Assembly (Hrvatski Sabor) with 151 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President, approved by the assembly.
- 140 members are elected from each of the ten electoral districts through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms; 8 members are elected by national ethnic minorities through a simple majority vote to serve 4-year terms; and currently, 3 members are elected by diaspora voters through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.*
*The seat share apportioned to diaspora voters is based on diaspora voter turnout and can be no more than 12.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Coalition: Croatia is Growing Coalition / Hrvatska Raste**
- Leader: Zoran MILANOVIC
- Seats won in last election: 80
- Party: Croatian Democratic Union / Hrvatska Demokratska Zajednica (HDZ)
- Leader: Tomislav KARAMARKO
- Seats won in last election: 47
- Party: Croatian Democratic Alliance of Slavonia and Baranja / Hrvatski Demokratski Savez Slavonije i Baranje
- Leader: Dragan VULIN
- Seats won in last election: 6
- Party: People’s Party - Reformists / Narodna Stranka - Reformist
- Leader: Radimir CACIC
- Seats won in last election: N/A
**Formerly the Kukuriku Coalition.
- The last election for the Assembly (Hrvatski Sabor) was held on 4 December 2011. There were 4,504,251 registered voters for the election. The Kukuriku Coalition won 80 seats (of 151) or 40.02% of the vote; the HDZ Coalition won 47 seats (of 151) or 23.17% of the vote; the Croatian Labourists won 6 seats (of 151) or 5.09% of the vote; the Croatian Democratic Alliance of Slavonia and Baranja won 6 seats (of 151) or 2.88% of the vote; and the Croatian Party of Rights won 1 seat (of 151) or 2.76% of the vote. Full results can be found here.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,464,844 (July 2015 est.)
- Registered voters: 3,825,242 (2015)
- Female Population: 2,388,692 (July 2015 est.)
- Is Croatia a signatory to CEDAW: N/A
- Has Croatia ratified CEDAW: Yes (9 September 1992)
- Gender Quota: No, but there are voluntary political party quotas
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 36 (24%) of 151 seats in Croatia’s Assembly (Hrvatski Sabor) 
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 47 
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is Croatia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has Croatia ratified CRPD: Yes (15 August 2007
- Population with a disability: 669,727 (2015 est.)