At stake in this election:
- 225 seats in the Parliament. The new Parliament is scheduled to meet September 1, 2015.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Maithripala SIRISENA
- Head of Government: President Maithripala SIRISENA
- Assembly: Sri Lanka has a unicameral Parliament with 225 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected through a contingent vote system to serve a 6-year term.*
- In the Parliament 225 members are elected by open list proportional representation in multi-member constituencies to serve 6-year terms.***
* Under the contingent vote system, voters may rank up to three candidates. If no candidate wins a majority in the first round of counting, ballots whose first rankings are eliminated candidates are redistributed to the next-ranked candidates on those ballots. The winner is the candidate with the most votes after this second round of counting.
*** Parties must clear a threshold of one-eighth of votes to win seats in the respective constituency. Each voter may cast three preference votes. There are 22 multi-member constituencies containing 196 seats and one nationwide constituency with 29 seats.
- The election is being held 10 months ahead of the original schedule.
- Party: United People's Freedom Alliance (UPFA) / එක්සත් ජනතා නිදහස් සන්ධානය
- Leader: Maithripala SIRISENA
- Seats won in last election: 144
- Party: United National Front for Good Governance (UNFGG) / එක්සත් යහපාලන ජාතික පෙරමුණ
- Leader: Ranil WICKRAMASINGHE
- Seats won in last election: 60
- Party: Tamil National Alliance (TNA) / தமிழ்த் தேசியக் கூட்டமைப்பு
- Leader: Mavai SENATHIRAJAH
- Seats won in last election: 14
- Party: Democratic National Alliance / ප්රජාතන්ත්රවාදී පක්ෂයේ
- Leader: Sarath FONSEKA
- Seats won in last election: 7
- The last election for the Parliament was held on 8 April 2010. There were 14,088,500 registered voters for the election. The United People's Freedom Alliance won 144 seats (of 225) or 60.66% of the vote, the United National Party won 60 seats, the Tamil National Alliance won 14 seats, and the Democratic National Alliance won 7 seats. Results can be found here.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Female Population: 11,172,825
- Is Sri Lanka a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Has Sri Lanka ratified CEDAW: Yes (5 October 1981)
- Gender Quota: No
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 13 (6%) of 225 seats in Parliament
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 73
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium
- Is Sri Lanka a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has Sri Lanka ratified CRPD: No
- Population with a disability: 3,279,967
 A total of 21 registered political parties and 201 independent groups will contest the election. Only the UPFA, UNFGG, and JVP will contest the election in all 22 electoral districts.