At stake in this election:
- 65 seats in the National Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Donald RAMOTAR
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Samuel HINDS
- Assembly: Guyana has a unicameral National Assembly with 65 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is indirectly elected by the National Assembly to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president.
- In the National Assembly 65 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.***
*** Votes are tabulated using the Hare quota. 25 seats are divided between 10 geographical constituencies and 40 seats are in one, nation-wide constituency.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: People’s Progressive Party – Civic (PPP - C) *
- Leader: Donald RAMOTAR
- Seats won in last election: 32
- Coalition: 'United Guyana' - A Partnership for National Unity (APNU) and The Alliance for Change (AFC)
- Leader: David GRANGER
- Seats won in last election: 33**
*The PPP has been in power since 1992, and if they win this will be their sixth consecutive term.
** This is a coalition of two main opposition parties, the AFC and the APNU.  In the last election, the AFC won 7 seats and APNU won 26 seats.
- The last election for the National Assembly was held on 28 November 2011. There were 492,369 registered voters for the election. The People’s Progressive Party won 32 seats (of 65) or 48.62% of the vote, A Partnership for National Unity won 26 seats (40.83% of the vote), and the Alliance for Change won 7 seats (10.33% of the vote).
Population and number of registered voters:
- Female Population: 364,154 (2014 est.)
- Is Guyana a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Has Guyana ratified CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female Candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Legislators: 21 (31%) of 67 seats in the National Assembly
- Human Development Index (HDI) Position: 121
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
- Is Guyana a signatory to CRPD: Yes (11 April 2007)
- Has Guyana ratified CRPD: Yes (10 September 2014)