Republic of Nicaragua: Parliament, 6 November 2016
At stake in this election:
- 92 seats in the Asamblea Nacional (National Assembly)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Daniel ORTEGA Saavedra (since 10 January 2007)
- Head of Government: President Daniel ORTEGA Saavedra (since 10 January 2007)
- Assembly: Nicaragua has a unicameral Asamblea Nacional (National Assembly) composed of 92 seats with members serving 5-year terms.
Description of electoral system:
- For the National Assembly, 70 members are elected in multi-seat constituencies and 20 members are elected in a single nationwide constituency. Additionally, 2 seats are reserved seats for the previous president and the runner-up candidate in the previous presidential election.
- Elections were last held on 6 November 2011. In this election, the Sandinista National Liberation Front won 62 seats, the Independent Liberal Party won 26, and the Liberal Constitutionalist Party took 2 seats.
Main parties in the election:
- Sandinista National Liberation Front
- Leader: Jose Daniel ORTEGA Saavedra
- Seats won in last election: 52
- Independent Liberal Party
- Leader: Pedro REYES
- Seats won in last election: 26
Population and number of registered voters:
· Population: 5,907,881 (July 2015 est.)
· Registered Voters: 3,303,831 (2011)
· Female Population: 3,023,064 (July 2015 est.)
· Is Nicaragua a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Nicaragua ratified CEDAW: Yes (27 October 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 37 (40.22%)
· Human Development Index Position: 125 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Nicaragua a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Nicaragua ratified CRPD: Yes (7 December 2007)
· Population with a disability: 886,182 (est.)
 Lists of candidates are arranged on the basis of alternation between male and female candidates.