*Only candidates who received more than 5% of the total vote are listed in the results section.
France: Presidential, 23 April 2017
At stake in this election:
- The office of the President of France
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Francois HOLLANDE (since 15 May 2012)
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Bernard CAZENEUVE (since 6 December 2016)
- Assembly: France has a bicameral parliament consisting of the Senate (Senat) of 348 seats and the National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale) of 577 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is directly elected by absolute majority popular vote in two rounds to a 5-year term.
- If no single candidate achieves an absolute majority in the first round, the two candidates with the most votes will proceed to a second-round.
- President Francois HOLLANDE of the Socialist Party (Parti Socialiste) defeated incumbent President Nicolas SARKOZY of the Union for a Popular Movement (Union pour un Mouvement Populaire) in a second round vote, 51% to 48%.
Main candidates in the election:
- Franciois Fillon
- Republican Party (LR) / Les Républicains
- Benoit Hamon
- Socialist Party / Parti Socialiste (PS)
- Marine Le Pen
- National Front / Front National (FN)
- Emmanuel Macron
- Independent: On the Move / En Marche
- Jean-Luc Mélenchon
- Independent: Unsubmissive France / La France insourmise
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 62,814,233 (July 2016-excluding overseas regions)
- Registered Voters: 46,066,499 (2012)
- Female Population: 34,124,393 (July 2016)
- Is France a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
- Has France ratified CEDAW: Yes (14 December 1980)
- Gender Quota: Yes
- Female candidates in this election: Yes
- Number of Female Parliamentarians: 238 (2015)
- Human Development Index Position: 22 (2014)
- Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low
- Is France a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
- Has France ratified CRPD: Yes (18 February 2010)
- Population with a disability: 9,422,135