At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Zimbabwe
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Robert MUGABE
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Morgan TSVANGIRAI
- Assembly: Zimbabwe has a bicameral Parliament consisting of the Senate with 80 seats and the National Assembly with 270 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Senate, 60 members are elected by proportional representation at the provincial level to serve 5-year terms, 16 members are elected by regional governing councils to serve 5-year terms, 2 members are reserved for the President and Deputy President of the National Council of Chiefs to serve 5-year terms and 2 members are filled to represent persons with disabilities to serve 5-year terms*. In the National Assembly, 210 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 60 members are women elected by proportional representation at the provincial level to serve 5-year terms.**
* In the Senate, 60 Senators are elected on the basis of party-list proportional representation based upon the provincial returns of votes for parties fielding candidates in the National Assembly elections. The party lists alternate gender, with every list being led by a female candidate. An additional 16 Senators are Chiefs elected by 8 non-metropolitan provincial assemblies. 2 Senators are elected to represent persons with disabilities, and the final 2 Senate seats are designated for the President and Deputy President of the National Council of Chiefs.
** In the National Assembly, 60 seats are reserved for women. In each of Zimbabwe's 10 provinces, 6 women are elected by proportional representation based on the provincial return of votes for parties fielding candidates in the National Assembly's constituency elections.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Dumiso DABENGWA
Party: Zimbabwe African People's Union (ZAPU)
- Robert MUGABE
Party: Zimbabwe African National Union - Patriotic Front (ZANU-PF)
- Kisnot MUKWAZHI
Party: Zimbabwe Development Party (ZDP)
- Welshman NCUBE
Party: Movement for Democratic Change - Ncube (MDC-N)
- Morgan TSVANGIRAI
Party: Movement for Democratic Change - TSVANGIRAI (MDC-T)
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 13,182,908 (July 2013 est.)
- Registered Voters: 5,874,115 (June 2013 )