At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Pakistan
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Asif Ali ZARDARI *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Nawaz SHARIF
- Assembly: Pakistan has a bicameral Parliament (Majlis-e-Shoora) consisting of the Senate with 100 seats and the National Assembly with 342 seats.
* The Electoral College elects the President; it consists of members of the Senate, National Assembly and the Provincial Assemblies.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is indirectly elected by an electoral college to serve a 5-year term.
- Prime Minister is elected by parliament.
- In the Senate 100 members are elected by indirect vote to serve 6-year terms*. In the National Assembly, 272 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms, 60 members are reserved for women to serve 5-year terms and 10 members are reserved for minorities to serve 5-year terms.**
* Senate members are indirectly elected by the provincial assemblies and the territories' representatives through a proportional representation single transferable vote. Members serve six-year terms with one half elected every three years.
** The 70 reserved seats are elected by proportional representation with a 5 percent threshold. Breakdown of National Assembly seats by Province: Punjab (148 seats); Sindh (61 seats), the North West Frontier Province (NWFP, 35 seats), Balochistan (14 seats), the Federally Administered Tribal Area (FATA, 12 seats), and the Federal Capital (2 seats).
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Mamnoon HUSSAIN
Party: Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N)
- Wajihuddin AHMED
Party: Pakistan Movement for Justice (PTI)
- (DISQUALIFIED) Raza RABBANI***
Party: Pakistan People’s Party (PPP)
*** As of 7/27/2013, the PPP candidate is disqualified due to failure to appear before the electoral commission and his party's decision to boycott the polls. A total 20 out of 24 nominations were rejected by the ECP (Electoral Commission of Pakistan).
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 193,238,868 (July 2013 est.)
- Registered Voters: 706 (July 2013 This total represents the number of voters in the electoral college. In Pakistan, there are 81,532,739 registered voters, as of January 2013.)