At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Guinea
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Sekouba KONATE *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Jean-Marie DORE
- Assembly: Guinea has a unicameral People's National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale Populaire) with 114 seats.
* KONATE is the interim leader. He replaced Moussa Dadis CAMARA following the attempted assassination of CAMARA on 3 December 2009.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the President.
- In the People's National Assembly (Assemblée Nationale Populaire), 38 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms and 76 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 5-year terms.***
*** In the proportional tier, there is one nationwide district.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Alpha CONDE
- Cellou Dalein DIALLO
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 11,012,406 (2010)
- Registered Voters: 4,270,531 (2010)
· Female Population: 5,499,881 (2010)
· Is Guinea a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Guinea ratified CEDAW: Yes (9 August 1982)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 22 (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 182 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Guinea a signatory to CRPD: Yes (16 May 2007)
· Has Guinea ratified CRPD: Yes (8 February 2008)
· Population with a disability: 1,651,860 (est.)