At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Romania
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ion ILIESCU
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Adrian NASTASE
- Assembly: Romania has a bicameral Parliament (Parlament) consisting of the Senate (Senat) with 140 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Adunarea Deputatilor) with 345 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 5-year term.
- In the Senate (Senat) 140 members are elected by popular vote via proportional representation to serve 4-year terms. In the Chamber of Deputies (Adunarea Deputatilor) 345 members are elected by popular vote via proportional representation to serve 4-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Second Round of the Presidential race:
- Adrian NASTASE
- Party: Social Democratic Party (PDS)
- Traian BASESCU
- Coalition: Justice and Truth Coalition / Dreptate si Adevar (DA)
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election took place on December 10 and 12, 2000. In this election, Ion ILESCU of the Party of Social Democracy of Romania-Social Democratic Party (PDSR-PSDR) won 66.84% of the votes while Corneliu VADIM TUDOR of the Great Romania Party secured 33.16% of the votes.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 21,451,748 (2004)
- Registered Voters: 18,316,104 (2004)
· Female Population: 10,984,583 (2004)
· Is Romania a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (4 September 1980)
· Has Romania ratified CEDAW: Yes (7 January 1982)
· Gender Quota: No (there are some political parties that have adopted voluntary quotas)
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 38 (House of Deputies); 13 (Senate) following the 2004 elections
· Human Development Index Position: 52 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Romania a signatory to CRPD: Yes (26 September 2007)
· Has Romania ratified CRPD: Yes (31 January 2011)
· Population with a disability: 3,217,762 (est.)