At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Philippines
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Gloria MACAPAGAL-ARROYO *
- Head of Government: President Gloria MACAPAGAL-ARROYO
- Assembly: Philippines has a bicameral Congress (Kongreso) consisting of the Senate (Senado) with 24 seats and the House of Representatives (Kapulungan Ng Mga Kinatawan) with 214 seats.
* ARROYO became president on January 20, 2001 after former President Joseph Ejercito ESTRADA was removed from office on corruption charges.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 6-year term.
- In the Senate (Senado) 24 members are elected by popular vote to serve 6-year terms*. In the House of Representatives (Kapulungan Ng Mga Kinatawan) 214 members are elected by popular vote to serve 3-year terms.**
* One-half of the members are elected every three years.
** The Constitution prohibits the House of Representatives from having more than 250 members.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Gloria M. MACAPAGAL-ARROYO*
- Party: Koalisyon ng Karapatan at Karanasan sa Kinabukasan or K-4 (LAKAS-CMD)
- Fernando POE, Jr.
- Party: Koalisyon ng Nagkakaisan Pilipino (KNP)
- Panfilo M. LACSON
- Party: Laban ng Demokratikong Pilipino (LDP)
- Raul S. ROCO
- Party: Aksyon Demokratiko (AD)
- Eduardo C. VILLANUEVA
- Party: Bangon Pilipinas
* The K-4 consists of the National Union of Christian Democrats (Lakas Ng Edsa or Lakas-CMD), the Liberal Party, members of the Nationalist People
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 84,596,249 (2004)
- Registered Voters: 43,536,028 (2004)
· Female Population: 42,093,350 (2004)
· Is Philippines a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (15 July 1980)
· Has Philippines ratified CEDAW: Yes (5 August 1981)
· Gender Quota: No (there are some political parties that have adopted voluntary gender quotas)
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 37 (House of Representatives); 4 (Senate) following the 2004 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 115 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Philippines a signatory to CRPD: Yes (25 September 2007)
· Has Philippines ratified CRPD: Yes (15 April 2008)
· Population with a disability: 12,689,437 (est.)