At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Guinea
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Lansana CONTE *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Lamine SIDIME
- Assembly: Guinea has a unicameral People's National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale Populaire) with 114 seats.
* In December 2001, a referendum extended the president's term from five to seven years in office, lifted the ban allowing only two terms in office and removed the age limit, thus securing CONTE's eligibility for this term.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 7-year term.
- In the People's National Assembly (Assemblee Nationale Populaire) 114 members are elected by direct popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Lansana CONTE
- Party: Party for Unity and Progress (PUP)
- Mamadou Bhoye BARRY
- Party: Union for National Progress (UNP)
Last Presidential election:
- The last presidential election was held on December 14, 1998 with Lansana CONTE winning the presidency with 56.1% of the votes. Mamadou Boye BA of the Union for Progress and Renewal (UPR) secured 24.6% of the votes while Alpha CONDE of the Rally for the Guinean People (RPG) secured 16.9% of the votes.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 9,281,572 (2003)
- Registered Voters: 5,009,780 ( 2003 )
· Female Population: 4,647,977 (2003)
· Is Guinea a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Guinea ratified CEDAW: Yes (9 August 1982)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 22 (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 182 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: High (2014)
· Is Guinea a signatory to CRPD: Yes (16 May 2007)
· Has Guinea ratified CRPD: Yes (8 February 2008)
· Population with a disability: 1,392,235 (est.)