At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Comoros
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Hamada MADI
- Head of Government: President Hamada MADI
- Assembly: Comoros has a bicameral Legislature consisting of the Senate with 15 seats and the Federal Assembly (Assemblee Federale) with 43 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 4-year term.
- The Federal Assembly was dissolved after 1999.
Main Candidates in the Presidential race:
- Said Ali KEMAL
- Party: Shuma
- Mahamoud MRADABI
- Party: Shawiri
- Colonel Azali ASSOUMANI
- Party: Independent
Last Presidential election:
- Elections were last held on March 6 and 16, 1996. A coup took place April 30, 1999. Mohamed TAKI Abdulkarim won 64.3% of the vote before passing away. Tajiddine Ben Said MASSOUNDE assumed power on 6 November 1998 before being overthrown in a bloodless coup April 30, 1999.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 575,428 (2002)
- Registered Voters: 150,867 (2002)
· Female Population: 285,762 (2002)
· Is Comoros a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Comoros ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (31 October 1994)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 0 (following 1996 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 159 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Comoros a signatory to CRPD: Yes (26 September 2007)
· Has Comoros ratified CRPD: Yes (16 June 2016)
· Population with a disability: 84,228 (est.)