At stake in this Referendum:
- A referendum to decide on the country's entry into the European Union and requirements to hold new referendums.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ivo JOSPOVIC
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Zoran MILANOVIC
- Assembly: Croatia has a unicameral Assembly (Hrvatski Sabor) with 152 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by absolute majority vote through a two-round system to serve a 5-year term.
- The Prime Minister is appointed by the president and approved by the assembly.
- In the Assembly (Hrvatski Sabor), 140 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms, 8 members are reserved by simple majority vote to serve 4-year terms and 5 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 4-year terms.***
*** Parties present lists in ten 14-member districts. The seat share apportioned to diaspora voters is based on diaspora voter turnout and can be no more than 12. Eight seats are reserved to 22 recognized minorities. Serbian minorities are designated three representatives. Hungarian and Italian minorities are designated one representative each. Czech and Slovak minorities share one representative. Austrian, Bulgarian, German, Polish, Romany, Romanian, Ruthenian, Russian Turkish, Ukrainian, Vlach and Jewish minorities share one representative. Albanian, Bosnian, Montenegrin, Macedonian and Slovenian minorities share one representative.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- A provision to decided if Croatia should accessed to the European Union
- More than 50% of those who vote must approve of a provision for it to be valid.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 4,480,043 (July 2011 est.)
- Registered Voters: 4,504,765 (January 2012 )
· Female Population: 2,201,023 (2012)
· Is Croatia a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Croatia ratified CEDAW: Yes, succession (9 September 1992)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 36 (following the 2011 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 47 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Croatia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Croatia ratified CRPD: Yes (15 August 2007)
· Population with a disability: 673,411 (est.)