At stake in this election:
- The office of President of Uzbekistan
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Islom KARIMOV
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Otkir SULTONOV
- Assembly: Uzbekistan has a unicameral Supreme Assembly (Oliy Majlis) with 250 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by popular vote to serve a 7-year term.
- In the Supreme Assembly (Oliy Majlis) 250 members are elected by popular vote to serve 5-year terms.
Last Presidential election:
- Last presidential election held on: December 29, 2001.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 24,102,473 (July 1999 est.)
- Registered Voters: N/A
· Female Population: 12,261,148 (1999)
· Is Uzbekistan a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Uzbekistan ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (19 July 1995)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: No
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 17 (following the 1999 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 114 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Uzbekistan a signatory to CRPD: Yes (27 February 2009)
· Has Uzbekistan ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 3,615,370 (est.)