At stake in this Referendum:
- To ratify a new constitution
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Mwai KIBAKI *
- Head of Government: President Mwai KIBAKI
- Assembly: Kenya has a unicameral National Assembly (Bunge) with 224 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- This referendum is to approve the country's new constitution. 'Are you for or against the ratification of the proposed new Constitution?'
'Je, unakubali au unapinga kuidhinishwa kwa katiba mpya?'
- A simple majority is needed for the referendum to pass.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 35,349,040 (2005)
- Registered Voters: 11,800,000 (September 2005 est.)
· Female Population: 17,684,250 (2005)
· Is Kenya a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Kenya ratified CEDAW: Yes (9 March 1984)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 16 (National Assembly) (following the 2002 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 145 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Medium (2014)
· Is Kenya a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Kenya ratified CRPD: Yes (19 May 2008)
· Population with a disability: 5,452,356 (est.)