At stake in this election:
- 200 seats in the General People's Congres (Mutamar Al Chaab Al Aam). This body is responsible for appointing a 60-member body to draft the Constitution.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Transitional National Council Mustafa Abd al-JALIL
- Head of Government: Transitional National Council Executive Abdurrahim EL-KEIB
- Assembly: Libya will elect a unicameral General People's Congres (Mutamar Al Chaab Al Aam) with 200 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The Transitional National Council Executive will be elected by parliament.
- In the General People's Congres (Mutamar Al Chaab Al Aam), 40 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies, 80 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies and 80 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system.***
*** District magnitude for the proportional districts ranges from 3 to 11. Article 15 of the election law mandates that candidates should alternate genders on the lists and that half of all a party's list must have a female at the top. District magnitude for the SNTV (plurality vote in multi-member constituencies) seats ranges from 2 to 9. Fifty of the 69 majoritarian districts will be parallel, meaning they contain both a proportional tier and either a SNTV or SMD tier. Three geographic constituencies will feature only a proportional representation ballot being provided to voters. Political entity/party affiliation can not be indicated on the ballot for the 120 ‘individual’ candidates that are running in the 69 majoritarian constituencies.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Alliance: Justice and Development Party (JDP) / حزب العدالة و التنميلة Ḥizb al-ʿAdālah wat-Tanmiyah*
- Leader: Mohamed SOWAN
- Party: National Gathering for Freedom, Justice and Development / التجمع الوطني من اجل الحرية والعدالة والتنمية at-Tajammu‘ al-Waṭanī min ajl al-Ḥurriyyah wal-‘Adālah wat-Tanmiyah
- Leader: Ali AL-SALLABI
- Party: National Centrist Party / Hizb al-Wasat al-Watani ب حزب الوسط الوطني
- Leader: Ali TARHOUNI
- Party: Qimmah Party / حزب القمة Hizb al-Qimmah
- Leader: Abdullah NAKER
- Party: The Party of Free Libyans / Hizb al-tahrir al-Libyan حزب الليبيين الاحرار
- Leader: Mohammed ALLAGI
- Party: February 17th Coalition of political parties and civil society groups / ائتلاف17 فبراير للاحزاب السياسية ومؤسسات المجتمع المدني
- Leader: Mahmoud JIBRIL
* The JDP is composed of the Muslim Brotherhood, along with other Islamist groups and independents.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 6,283,403 (2012)
- Registered Voters: 2,865,937 (July 2012)
· Female Population: 3,090,450 (2012)
· Is Libya a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Libya ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (16 May 1989)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: Yes
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 33 (following the 2012 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 94 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Libya a signatory to CRPD: Yes (1 May 2008)
· Has Libya ratified CRPD: No
· Population with a disability: 942,510 (est.)