At stake in this election:
- 24 seats in the Parliament
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Jim MARURAI
- Assembly: Cook Islands has a unicameral Parliament with 24 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Frederick GOODWIN.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is hereditary.
- The Prime Minister is designated by the monarch.**
- In the Parliament 24 members are elected by plurality vote in single-member constituencies to serve 5-year terms.***
** The leader of the majority party or the leader of the majority coalition usually becomes prime minister.
*** Ten MPs are from the main island of Rarotonga and the rest are from the outer islands.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Democratic Party (DEMO)
- Leader: Terepai Tuamure MAOATE
- Seats won in this election: 14
- Seats won in last election: 14
- Party: Cook Islands Party (CIS)
- Leader: Geoffrey Arama HENRY
- Seats won in this election: 7
- Seats won in last election: 9
- Party: Independent Candidate
- Leader: N/A
- Seats won in this election: 2
- Seats won in last election: 1
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 21,388 (July 2006 est.)
- Registered Voters: 9,772 (September 2006 )