At stake in this election:
- 120 seats in the Assembly (Kuvendi/Skupstina)
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ibrahim RUGOVA
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Bajram REXHEPI
- Assembly: Kosovo has a unicameral Assembly (Kuvendi/Skupstina) with 120 seats.
Description of electoral system:
- The President is elected by parliament to serve a 3-year term.
- The Prime Minister is elected by parliament.
- In the Assembly (Kuvendi/Skupstina), 100 members are elected through a closed-list proportional representation system to serve 3-year terms and 20 members are reserved to represent Kosovo's national minorities to serve 3-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Democratic League of Kosovo (LDK)
- Leader: Ibrahim RUGOVA
- Seats won in last election: 47
- Party: Democratic Party of Kosovo (PDK)
- Seats won in last election: 26
- Coalition for Return
- Seats won in last election: 22
- Alliance for the Future of Kosovo
- Seats won in last election: 8