At stake in this election:
- 15 seats in the House of Assembly
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: Queen ELIZABETH II *
- Head of Government: Chief Minister Peter CARUANA
- Assembly: Gibraltar has a unicameral House of Assembly with 18 seats.
* The Queen is represented by Governor and Commander-in-Chief Sir Francis RICHARDS.
Description of electoral system:
- The Queen is the hereditary head of state.
- The Chief Minister is appointed by the governor-general.
- In the House of Assembly, 15 members are elected by plurality vote in multi-member constituencies to serve 4-year terms, 2 members are reserved ex officio to serve 4-year terms and 1 members are appointed for the Speaker to serve 4-year terms.
Main parties in the electoral race:
- Party: Gibraltar Social Democrats (GSD)
- Leader: Peter CARUANA
- Seats won in this election: 8
- Seats won in last election: 8
- Party: Gibraltar Socialist Labour Party (GSLP) / Liberal Party (LP)**
- Leader: Joseph John BOSSANO and Joseph GARCIA
- Seats won in this election: 7
- Seats won in last election: 7
- Party: Others
- Leader: N/A
- Seats won in this election: 0
- Seats won in last election: N/A
** In this election, the GSLP and the LP formed a coalition against the GSD. In the last election, GSLP secured 5 seats and LP obtained 2.
Last Parliamentary election:
- The last parliamentary election was held on February 10, 2000.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 27,776 (July 2003 est.)