At stake in this Referendum:
- Whether the presidential term will be extended from 4 years to 5 years. Whether to give the president power to dissolve the national assembly and make Islam the state religion.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Ahmed Abdallah SAMBI *
- Head of Government: President Ahmed Abdallah SAMBI
- Assembly: Comoros has a unicameral Assembly of the Union with 33 seats. ***
* The presidency of Comoros rotates every four years among the presidents of the main islands.
*** The electoral system for directly elected seats is two-round (TRS). There are no nationally mandated electoral rules for the seats filled by local assemblies.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Whether the presidential term will be extended from 4 years to 5 years. Whether to give the President power to dissolve the national assembly and make Islam the state religion.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 681,845 (2009)
- Registered Voters: 334,636 (May 2009 )
· Female Population: 338,180 (2009)
· Is Comoros a signatory to CEDAW: No
· Has Comoros ratified CEDAW: Yes, accession (31 October 1994)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 1 (following 2004 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 159 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: N/A
· Is Comoros a signatory to CRPD: Yes (26 September 2007)
· Has Comoros ratified CRPD: Yes (16 June 2016)
· Population with a disability: 102,276 (est.)