At stake in this Referendum:
- Ratification of a new draft constitution
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Rafael CORREA *
- Head of Government: President Rafael CORREA
- Assembly: Ecuador has a unicameral National Congress (Congreso Nacional) with 100 seats.
* The President is elected by majority vote to serve a 4-year term. Presidential elections take place under a two-round majority run-off system. In order to win in the first round, a candidate must garner at least 40% of the vote and have a 10 point advantage over the closest rival.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Ratification of new draft constitution* This referendum asks voters to respond either "yes" or "no" to the following question: "Do you approve of the text of the new Political Constitution of the Republic as elaborated by the Constituent Assembly?"
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 14,447,600 (2008)
- Registered voters: 9,754,883 (2008)
· Female Population: 7,216,390 (2008)
· Is Ecuador a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Ecuador ratified CEDAW: Yes (9 November 1981)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 25 (following the 2006 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 88 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Ecuador a signatory to CRPD: Yes 30 March 2007
· Has Ecuador ratified CRPD: 3 April 2008
· Population with a disability: 2,167,140 (est.)