At stake in this Referendum:
- The continuity of the incumbent president, vice-president, and all nine departmental governors through the end of their respective terms. New elections will be held for the offices in which an incumbent loses the recall referendum
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Juan Evo MORALES Ayma *
- Head of Government: President Juan Evo MORALES Ayma
- Assembly: Bolivia has a bicameral National Congress (Congreso Nacional) consisting of the Chamber of Senators (Camara de Senadores) with 27 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camara de Diputados) with 130 seats.
* The president is both the chief of state and head of government.
Main provisions in the referendum:
- Continuity in office of President Evo MORALES Ayma and Vice-president and Alvaro GARCIA Linera
- Voters will be asked to vote either "yes" or "no" on the following question: "Are you in agreement with the continuation of the process of change led by President Evo Morales Ayma and Vice-President Alvaro Garcia Linera?"
- "¿Usted esta de acuerdo con la continuidad del proceso de cambio liderizado por el Presidente Evo Morales Ayma y el Vicepresidente Alvaro Garcia Linera?"
- Continuity in office of the governors of Bolivia's nine departments
- Voters will be asked to vote "yes" or "no" on the following question: "Are you in agreement with the continuation of the policies, actions, and management of the governor of the department?"
- "¿Usted esta de acuerdo con la continuidad de las políticas, las acciones, y la gestión del Prefecto del Departamento?"
- In order to remove an incumbent from his/her office, voters must cast both more total "No" votes and a greater percentage of "No" votes than the incumbent won when originally elected to current office in 2005.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 9,247,816 (July 2008 est.)
- Registered Voters: 4,047,706 (August 2008 )
· Female Population: 4,788,013 (2008)
· Is Bolivia a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (30 May 1980)
· Has Bolivia ratified CEDAW: Yes (8 June 1990)
· Gender Quota: Yes
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 22 (National Congress); 1 (Chamber of Senators) (following 2005 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 119 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Low (2014)
· Is Bolivia a signatory to CRPD: Yes (13 August 2007)
· Has Bolivia ratified CRPD: Yes (16 November 2009)
· Population with a disability: 1,387,172 (est.)