At stake in this Referendum:
- This referendum was to approve an extensive package of amendments to the Constitution.
Description of government structure:
- Chief of State: President Giorgio NAPOLITANO
- Head of Government: Prime Minister Romano PRODI
- Assembly: Italy has a bicameral Parliament (Parlamento) consisting of the Senate (Senato della Repubblica) with 322 seats and the Chamber of Deputies (Camera dei Deputati) with 630 seats.
Main provisions in the Referendum:
- Approval of an extensive package of amendments to the Constitution This referendum asked voters: "Do you approve of the constitutional law concerning the amendments to Part II of the Constitution approved by Parliament and published in Official Gazette n.269 of 18 November 2005?"
The constitutional law reform involves among others:
- The introduction of a federalist tax-based system and the creation of a quasi-federal Senate;
- A transfer of more decision-making power to the regions, especially in the areas of health, schooling, and police;
- Increased powers for the Prime Minister, who will be able to appoint and dismiss ministers and to dissolve parliament. The powers of the President of the Republic will be significantly curtailed.
- A majority of the valid votes was required for the constitutional reform to be approved. There was no specific requirement for the percentage of voters.
Population and number of registered voters:
- Population: 58,143,979 (2006)
- Registered Voters: 46,997,601 (2006)
· Female Population: 29,867,314 (2006)
· Is Italy a signatory to CEDAW: Yes (17 July 1980)
· Has Italy ratified CEDAW: Yes (10 June 1985)
· Gender Quota: No
· Female candidates in this election: N/A
· Number of Female Parliamentarians: 109 (Chamber of Deputies); 44 (Senate) (following the 2006 elections)
· Human Development Index Position: 27 (2014)
· Social Institutions and Gender Index (SIGI) Categorization: Very Low (2014)
· Is Italy a signatory to CRPD: Yes (30 March 2007)
· Has Italy ratified CRPD: Yes (15 May 2009)
· Population with a disability: 8,721,596 (est.)